Download 18.19 Kb.
Feathers from a thousand Li away
The Joy Luck Club
1. Who was narrating the vignette The Joy Luck Club?
2. Why was Jing-mei taking part in the Joy Luck Club?
3. Why did Jing-mei's mother form the Joy Luck Club in Kweilin?
3. Why did the women in the club call it Joy Luck?
5. What surprising information did Jing-mei finally learn from her mother's story about
6. How do the people at the San Francisco Joy Luck Club eat?
7. Why did "the aunties" give Jing-mei $1200 in an envelope?
8. What do "the aunties" want Jing-mei to tell her sisters in China?
9. What surprising thing does Jing-mei tell her "aunties' about her own mother?
10. What does Jing-mei promise "the aunties" at the end of the story?
11. “They are frightened. In me they see their daughters.” Explain .
12. Explain why/how Jing Mei lost and found her love for her mother.
13. Why was AnMei told that her mother was a ghost?
14. Why did her mother return?
15. How did AnMei get the scar?
16. How did AnMei’s mother honor Popo?
The Red Candle
17. Explain the significance of the red candle.
18. In the story of Lindo, what do you learn of the position of women at this time?
19. How did Lindo Jong escape her unhappy marriage?
The Moon Lady
20. What is the significance of the story of YingYing at the festival? What effect on her did this experience have?
21. When Ying Ying St. Clair says, “...I also remember what I asked the Moon Lady so long ago. I wished to be found.” What does she mean? Can you understand that wish?
Part Two: The Twenty-six Malignant Gates
Rule of the Game: Waverly Jong
The Voice from the Wall: Lena St. Clair
Half and Half: Rose Hsu Jordan
Two Kinds: Jing-mei Woo
30. Which of the above titles did you like the most? Why?
Part 3 “American Translation”
1. What is peach-blossom luck?
2. Why will the marriage happiness turn the opposite way?
3. Mirrors show us reflections of ourselves. Why, then, is the daughter surprised to see "her own reflection looking back at her"?
"Rice Husband," Lena St. Clair
4. What is Lena afraid that her mother will see during her visit?
5. What is Lena's response to her mother's superstition about not eating all of her rice?
6. Why does Lena feel responsible for Arnold's death?
7. In what ways does money play an important role in Lena's and Harold's marriage?
8. Why doesn't Lena resent Harold's taking credit for her "theme eating" idea?
9. Why does Lena cross out the words "ice cream" on the refrigerator door?
"Four Directions," Waverly Jong
10. In what ways does Waverly's mother wear her down by "the strength of her will"?
11. Waverly describes the same incident that her mother does earlier in the book...the time when Waverly told her mother that she didn't know anything. How are Waverly's perceptions of the event different than her mother's?
12. What does Waverly find appealing about Rich?
13. Why does Waverly's trick (introducing him to Auntie Suyuan) work with her mother?
14. Describe three important Chinese customs Rich violates at dinner which Waverly
believes are insults to her mother?
"Without Wood," Rose Hsu Jordan
15. What is the significance of Rose's dream about Old Mr. Chou at the beginning of this chapter?
16. Why does Rose let the garden become so overgrown? Why does she like it that way?
17. Why does Rose decide not to sign the divorce papers?
18. What is the role of Old Mr. Chou in the second dream, and why does he resurface this way?
19. Why are weeds spilling out at the end?
"Best Quality," Jing-mei "June" Woo
20. Suyuan gives June her jade pendant. How does June react at first?
21. What does June think of Waverly in this chapter?
22. Why does June's mother say, "Only you pick that crab. Nobody else take it. I already know this. Everybody else want best quality. You thinking different."?